Once I realised I could not see any of the lecture notes at university, I knew I had to do something about my eyesight! I didn’t realise how bad it actually was until I began wearing my glasses around 2 years ago.
I remember the first time I went to a park with my new glasses on. I could actually see the leaves in the tree and I was completely in awe – I didn’t even know that was a thing that people could normally see! I am nature obsessed so finally be able to properly see and appreciate every little detail was a huge deal.
But, with the ups comes the downs. Wearing glasses can be a huge pain in the arse sometimes!
1. Exercising with your glasses is practically impossible. Anything that requires an ounce of effort or sweat causes your glasses to slide down your face. Running with your glasses is a big nope, unless you fancy holding them in place the entire time.
2. Constantly thinking you’re vision is getting a bit fuzzy before realising it’s actually a greasy finger mark.
3. Having to put your glasses straight back on after taking them off because someone said “look at this”.
4. Walking into a warm room from the cold for your glasses to react as if you’ve stepped into a sauna. Even drinking a hot cup of tea causes your lenses to fog! When will it end?
5. Trying to balance your 3D glasses on top of your regular glasses at the cinema… Fail.
6. Having to choose between your regular glasses or your sunglasses. Protection from the sun or the gift of sight? Prescription sunglasses, please!
7. Napping with your glasses on is pretty uncomfortable unless you like the feeling of your glasses frame pushing into your skull.
8. Carefully applying your winged eye liner for it to only be completely covered when you eventually put your glasses back on.
9. Your mascara covered or false lashes constantly tickling up against your lens.
10. People always want to check *how* blind you actually are, so they’re determined to try your glasses on.
11. Glare. Glare everywhere.
12. Walking around in the rain is a pain, full stop. You’re blinded by specks of raindrop. When will someone invent tiny little windscreen wipers?
13. If your partner also wears glasses, a spontaneous smooch could be a little disastrous. The pain of a glasses collision is difficult to describe.
14. Wearing an outfit that isn’t cotton is such a risky move. Normally, your shirt is your lens cleaner. What do you do now?
15. Wearing your glasses all day and they leave two huge dents on your nose, which stay there for so damn long.
Despite the problems, I love my glasses! They cover up my make-up free face when I’m feeling a little self-concious. They make me look older when I’m feeling like I look about 12. And, obviously, they help me see!
Can you relate? Did I miss any problems that you’ve had issues with?
You can read my previous post here.
Photographs are my own. © Morgan Mills.